Sunday, January 15, 2012

Week 2 Classmate Comment (Chonnie Blair)

MAC Week 2 Blog Post 1

The book The Art of Possibility has thus far been thought provoking.  The first chapter which discusses how one's perception is critically important.  The book discusses a scenario at the inception of the chapter about two journalist that respond to a question regarding shoes.  One journalist had an optimistic outlook with reference to a specific areas marketing and sales opportunities for shoes.  This reminded me of the infamous the cup is half empty or half full scenario where one determines a person's level of optimism.  However, at the end of the chapter, the author suggests that we can "invent" a new perspective our outlook for oneself.

The second chapter builds on the first by expounding the way the scenario could have changed if the new invention is access and nurtured.  It challenges the reader to question himself in a way that manifests their thinking as the driving force to their outcomes on a grand scale.

The third chapter speaks to looking at individual achievement and accomplishments as just that - individual.  Often we compare ourselves of others to an established norm.  Socially, we compare people to each other in many areas such as physical appearance, measures of financial success and the like.

The final chapter was quite interesting and one that could be immediately internalized.  The chapter suggested that we gauge our success every day by the contribution we made as if we, ourselves, are the gift to our world every day.  I love this philosophy as it has been my own for many years.

Overall, I enjoyed the reading because of its applications in my professional environment.  If I can get others - particularly my students - to change their perception and their paradigm, it can greatly impact their overall performance in my class and in their academic career as a whole.  However, for that to be a successful endeavor, I have to openly start them all at an A with an expectation of them performing at a higher level than they ever have or ever thought possible.

1 comments:

  1. MarquitaJan 15, 2012 11:52 AM
    I completely agree with your take on our reading for the week. The Art of Possibility is such a phenomenal book. There was so much that I learned from reading it.. My favorite chapter was chapter 3. I was moved. I was so touched by the chapter that I suggested that we read the book at my school. I feel as though teachers can learn from it. Reading chapter four made me think of what I can contribute to the world. So what are we going to contribute to the world today????

No comments:

Post a Comment